Saturday, February 20, 2010

How does it work when you own a beach house?

Hi.


I was looking at some houses down near Palm Beach, FL, and I was wondering, how does it work when you own a beach house? I only plan on using this house probably only during the summertime (May - September)





I live all the way in New York. Would I need to visit my beach house every month or can I just leave it till the next summertime? What happens if my beach house gets robbed? What else do you need to do in order to own a beach house?





Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm so confused.How does it work when you own a beach house?
You cannot simply ';leave'; a house here. Mold is a serious issue. It can grow even in the winter. You would need to have someone look after it at least on a monthly basis and run the air conditioner daily.





If allowed by the local homeowners association, you could rent the property to ';Snowbirds'; (winter-only visitors). You should have a real estate broker or property manager handle that. You'll also need a lawn company while you're away.How does it work when you own a beach house?
Smart thing to do would be you use it May through Sept. Then rent to snowbirds Oct through April. This way the house is not empty.
It works whatever way you choose to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment