Saturday, February 20, 2010

How should I figure out if I'm going to overload the electrical system at an old beach house?

I am thinking about renting an old house on Martha's Vineyard for a friend's bachelor's party that I'm organizing. I want to figure out if the electrical system can handle it. We'll probably have two projectors, an Xbox 360, PS3, and a Nintendo Wii. What's the best way to figure out if I'm going to overload the electrical system (without actually plugging everything in)? Should I calculate wattages? Amps? Some other method?How should I figure out if I'm going to overload the electrical system at an old beach house?
Look at the breaker box, or the fuse box. Circuits or fuses will be mapped inside the panel of the box: Typically the living room and a bedroom will be on one circuit and the dining room and another bedroom will be on another circuit... etc.





Bring an extension cord or two and a power strip or two from home. Divide the power any way you see fit. If the house has fuses, make certain you have replacements.





If you are worried about guests tripping on extension cords, cover them up with a throw rug or a plastic runner.How should I figure out if I'm going to overload the electrical system at an old beach house?
You need to calculate the total ampage running through each circuit breaker. If you look at the electrical panel, each breaker will have it's maximum capacity on it. Typically it's 15 amps. I would get a power bar that has a breaker on it too for extra protection.
It is a standard that home outlets are rated at 15 Amps or 1800 Watts.


If your total system is comsuming more than 1800 watts in that line of outlet, then you will overload them and your circuit breaker will trigger on. From what you have mentioned for load, you are not going to overload the circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment